Sunday, June 17, 2012

Father's Day

I'm quite sure bloggers across the nation are preparing their Father's Day posts at this very moment; many to express their heartfelt gratitude to the men who helped raise them, some complain about the short-coming of theirs, and still countless others to, in some way simply share the impact of what this day means to them.  Today, I join the multitudes in our quest to share a glimpse into the psyche of a child on Father’s Day.
Normally I’d say it’s best to start from the beginning, but the beginning is not what sustains me it’s the middle, so I’ll start there.   I am 14; he has just come from sunny Florida to visit me in the dead of a Minnesota winter.   Ever the adventurer, he takes me out on a frozen lake – in the car – I imagine paying homage to his teen years when he lived here and this was commonplace.  As the adrenaline coursed through my veins I recall a fleeting thought that I should be terrified at the possibility of falling through our icy playground but an unexpected emotion took over; security.  I was, after all with my DAD.  I didn’t know at the time how important this revelation was – for it was new, welcomed, and oh so sweet.  But looking back on the years, it became the cornerstone of how I knew I wanted my daughter to feel in the presence of her Dad.  I am 15; we are flying, yes, in an airplane that my Dad is piloting.  Once again the adrenaline has released a thrill I am unfamiliar with but embracing because I am with my Dad and that unspoken bond reassures me that I am safe.   I am 18, 24, 33…; the stories change but the message is constant, I am loved, I am his daughter.  I recall the first time I heard him introduce me as such.  The pride and confirmation of belonging solidified something deep within, that even though my father-daughter story was not as I would have written it if given the choice, it was my story.  Few of us can look back and not want to re-write a few of life’s chapter’s – it is nevertheless what gives us material to write the future. 
I am 37; and on this Father’s Day I am reflecting on all that is good.  No longer is the safety of a father’s provision available to those of us whose Dads were taken from us too soon, but the memories of lives touched live on.  I enjoy seeing glimpses of him in the generosity of my husband, I find solace in the unconditional love of my Mom, I marvel at the ingenuity of my daughter, and I take comfort in that still quiet place deep within reminding me that this life, is a pretty good story.
In loving reflection of the life of my Dad, Dale Anthony Shallbetter.

1 comment:

  1. Chris - that was fascinating to hear these reflections and lessons. We all have a lot to learn from you. Thanks for being so wise in your perspectives. This makes me smile knowing your dad was exactly as you described him and the lasting impact that will forever live on!

    Much adoration,
    Deanna

    ReplyDelete